Give me a breakfast burrito and a hot cup of coffee and you’ve got one happy Momma!!
A long long time ago – somewhere in my early 20’s – I spent a brief period of time living in Fort Collins, Colorado with my sister. I worked in a quiet little office building 40 hours a week checking people’s references on their resumes for companies looking to qualify job candidates. Yup, I called all their past employers, colleges, and personal references to verified what they were claiming was legit. Mind numbing yes, BUT once a week a guy would show up in the office with a little red cooler full of breakfast burritos!!!!! Best day of the week! They were amazing! Giant tin foil wrapped gems, big enough to feed 2, but no one ever shared and there were never any leftovers. They were stuffed full of perfectly seasoned scrambled eggs, crisp potatoes, mexican cheese, sausage, and roasted veggies all wrapped up in a huge and super fresh flour tortilla. They were unreal!! The guy with the red cooler spoke limited English and only took cash so there was no tracking him down or figuring out how we could get a hold of those burritos outside of the office. We were forced to wait out the week and hope he’d come back. And week after week he would show up and we would clear out that cooler every time!
What I wouldn’t do to find that guy and have another one of those burritos!! But instead I whip these up. They are a far cry from what the red cooler guy was dishing out, but they are healthy, perfectly portioned, super satisfying and can be made in bulk for quick reheat breakfasts for your week.
I recommend starting with free range organic brown eggs whenever possible. According to all the studies I have read they have less fat and cholesterol, more vitamins and minerals, and are higher in omega 3 fatty acids. And I think they just plain taste better than traditionally farmed eggs.
I also go for a sprouted grain or whole wheat tortilla for increased nutritional value and fiber. Fiber not only help regulates your digestion but it also aids in leveling off the sugar spike caused by eating carbohydrates and grains, which helps you to stay fuller longer and avoid the dreaded blood sugar crash later on in your day.
Here are my personal favorites:
- Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Angelic Bake House Sprouted Grain Wraps
- Food For Life Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas
Grocery store tip – Many times you will find these tortillas in the produce section or freezer. These brands do not use many preservatives so their shelve life tends to be a little shorter. So storing them in your freezer at home until you are ready to use them is a good idea too!
Make these Healthy Breakfast Burritos for your Saturday morning breakfast with the family or as a meal prep option for your busy week. They reheat perfectly and are super portable!
Healthy Breakfast Burrito
- 8 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 LB chicken or turkey sausage nitrate and MSG free
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 6 whole or sprouted grain tortillas
- salt & pepper
- Cook the sausage in a medium size skillet over medium-high heat adding the green peppers and onions after about 3 minutes. Continue to cook, until the sausage is cooked through and the veggies are soft. Drain off any excess fat, remove the sausage mixture from the pan and set aside. Lower stove heat to medium-low.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Using the same pan that the sausage was cooked in, add egg mixture and cook, stirring often until eggs are set. Add salt and pepper to taste. remove from pan and set aside.
- To Assemble place 1/4 cup meat mixture and 1/4 scrambled eggs in the middle of the tortilla. Top the eggs and sausage with shredded cheese and roll the tortilla up. ENJOY!
- To make as a meal prep, allow rolled burritos to cool then roll in clear plastic wrap and refrigerate. To reheat, remove from plastic wrap and microwave for 30 sec to 1 min.