We live in an exciting time in the health and fitness industry! Gone are the days of boring treadmill running and male dominated weight rooms. We have choices! And lots of them!
Crossfit, boot camps, yoga, pilates, HIIT training, MMA, kickboxing, barre, run clubs, spin…. and that’s just naming a few!
If you want to make exercise a part of your lifestyle, there has never been a better time to explore the options and really find a style of exercise that fits YOU! I hear people say all too often, “I wish I could commit to an exercise program but I just don’t like working out!” That pains me, because most of the time those comments come from past experiences of following a workout they hated and produced no results.
I think there is a form of exercise for everyone. Even if that means focusing on a walking routine and tracking your steps! There is something that will work for you. So here are my top 5 tips on finding a workout plan that you can stick with and get the results you came looking for in the first place. Basic as they seem, they will make a big difference on a long term commitment to living actively.
- Top tip! Choose a form of exercise that you LIKE! Consistency is what gets results. There is no magic program or exercise. They all work! Your results are a direct reflection of your efforts. And sticking to a program is a lot easier when you are not dreading it. Examples: if you don’t like running, then don’t run….or just because your friend thinks Zumba is the end all be all, doesn’t mean it’s right for you. Make a list of your past exercise experiences; what were the things you liked or disliked and go from there.
- Decide on a schedule that realistically fits into your life and make it a priority. Even if that means 30 min a day. Great! Commit to it, schedule it, and do it! Over-committing yourself will just leave you feeling unaccomplished and unmotivated. Chipping away week after week will form habits that you can build off of for years to come.
- Focus on good clean nutrition. What, wait?..I thought we were talking about a workout program. Yup, we are! and if you want to SEE the results of your hard work, then good nutrition HAS to be part of the equation. In fact, 80% of that equation! Abs are made in the kitchen and NO workout plan will ever compete with a bad diet.
- Find support and accountability. A “fit fam,” workout buddy, a group. etc! This can be your slight edge between getting your workout done or skipping it all together. Bailing on your commitments becomes a lot more difficult when someone else is counting on you.
- Find a plan and keep track of your progress. Whether that plan is choosing which group fitness classes you’re going to attend regularly, what “Couch to 5k” app you’re going to follow, or which at home workout program you’re going to complete. Don’t waste your time without a plan. You have a goal, make it happen!
There you have it. Check these off your list and you are going to succeed!
I run monthly virtual support and accountability groups offering a wide variety of workout and nutrition programs that you can do in the comfort of your own home and I would love to help you find your perfect plan. Leave me a comment below or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information.